Fifty percent of the air in the upper levels of your home comes from the basement or crawl space. Both contain high levels of moisture that cause musty odors, mold spores, mildew, bacteria, and dust mites. Damp air in these areas may also damage the structure of your home and stored items. According to experts, controlling humidity inside the home is essential for comfort, reduced health risks, and property protection.
Musty odors are typically a result of high humidity levels in the crawl space and basement. This polluted air below the house will eventually move to the rest of the house, carrying musty odors and other contaminates. Specifically, musty odors in your home come from the off-gassing of mold spores when they feed on organic materials. Solve the moisture problem and you will solve your mold problem.
A home dehumidifier draws moisture out of the air which allows your A/C system to perform more efficiently. This prevents the “cold and clammy” feeling you may get when you rely solely on your A/C to lower the temperature in an attempt to lower the humidity level in your home.
If after heavy rain, you notice water dripping on your basement floor, sweating walls, or rings of mold spores, you should use a dehumidifier to dry it out. If you have a regularly damp basement it’s a good idea to keep one running throughout the year.
Designed to work with your home’s HVAC system, a whole-home ventilating dehumidifier brings in fresh, filtered outdoor air. This process dilutes allergens and contaminants, all while dehumidifying the entire home to maintain a set relative humidity (RH) level.
The use of a dehumidifier can improve the shelf life of porous foods such as cereal, bread, and chips by absorbing moisture and other contaminants that contribute to spoilage.
In the simplest of terms, dehumidifiers regulate humidity by removing moisture from the air. This creates living spaces that are comfortable to you but inhospitable to dust mites, mold and other allergens.
Humidity, Mold, News, Press Releases